Twitter for teachers – a handy guide
#ukedchat, #edutwitter, #sltchat, #bettchat – it’s easy to lose track of the endless numbers of education related hashtags! While Twitter can be a brilliant resource to continue your professional development and boost your school’s profile, sometimes the sheer volume of information and opinions can be a little overwhelming. To ensure your time on the site is productive and you stay up to date with the latest news, policies and trends in education, try these lessons from Livewire:
- Follow the accounts most relevant to your area of expertise
Twitter’s algorithm will start to automatically suggest similar accounts to the ones you’ve decided to follow, so the more on your list the wider your network can become! Livewire PR’s ‘following’ tab is a good place to start…
2. Engage with hashtags meaningfully
This doesn’t mean spamming your feed with endless, unrelated hashtags, but instead choosing a few select phrases that will fit your tweet’s message and resonate with your target audience. This will cut through the noise and mean your tweet will be seen by the most appropriate people!
3. Be aware of busier times in the academic year
There’s always a flurry of activity in September when schools resume after the long summer holidays – keep an eye out for new and exciting voices, but don’t overdo it.
4. Advertise vacancies and look for new roles
Continue to advertise your vacancies through traditional methods, but make sure you take advantage of the free platform Twitter provides to reach as many candidates as possible. If you’re looking for a change yourself, follow schools/organisations you’re interested in and keep an eye on their profile for new openings.
5. Support others to share best practice
The pressure on teachers and educational professionals seems to increase year on year. If someone’s struggling through a stressful time, share what helps you through rough patches.
6. Don’t be afraid to share your thoughts and opinions….
7. But make sure you have a thorough read of your school’s social media policy and review your privacy settings first.
8. Most importantly of all, check out Livewire PR’s guide to all things Social Media!